The Farnham Natural Therapy Clinic are pleased to introduce The Juliet Laser system, a minimally- invasive, pain-free treatment for stress urinary incontinence, vaginal atrophy and vaginal relaxation. Administered by our in-house doctor, the treatment takes just 20 minutes with no down time.
What is Juliet Laser?
The Juliet is a unique laser delivery system which penetrates beneath the vaginal mucosa (skin) stimulating regeneration and tightening without the need for surgery.
What can Juliet Laser treat?
Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI)
This is quite a widespread issue prevalent in women after their first birth (with between 24% and 29% of women suffering from this condition). It is a form of urinary incontinence caused by a loss of support in the urethra, which is usually a consequence of damage to pelvic support structures as a result of childbirth.
Similarly, frequent exercise and high-impact activities can cause athletic incontinence to develop. In both cases, it is
Vaginal Atrophy and Dryness
Women undergoing menopause often experience a range of symptoms including vaginal dryness, itching, painful intercourse, poor lubrication, reduced libido and poor vaginal muscle elasticity and tone. This condition is also described as vaginal atrophy.
Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome
This is a fairly common syndrome usually associated with vaginal childbirth as well as natural ageing. Most women (and their partners) refer vaginal relaxation syndrome to ‘enlarged vagina’, complaining of a loss of vagnial tightness, which is directly related to the reduction in friction during intercourse and thus to a decrease in sexual gratification.
What does the treatment involve?
The first phase (ablative) involves 3-7 pulses of laser energy at each stage. The probe is then withdrawn 1cm and the procedure is repeated along the length of the vagina.
The second phase (thermal) causes a gentle warming of the tissue under the
The treatment takes approximately 20 minutes. Results are normally seen within 72 hours and improvements continue up to 3 months.
How does the Juliet Laser work?
The laser causes the generation of new collagen (connective tissue), new blood vessels and tightening of existing collagen. This causes the tissue under the surface of the vagina to thicken and tighten, which in turns reduces the stress urinary incontinence and improves vaginal lubrication. The regeneration thickened tissue is also less prone to burning and itching.
A consultation with our doctor during which an intra-vaginal examination will be
- Confirmation is needed that you are up to date with your cervical smears.
- It is essential you are not pregnant. To ensure this please either abstain from intercourse or use contraception following your most recent period prior to the treatment date.
- You will need to avoid intercourse altogether 24 hours prior to the procedure.
- We will ask that you insert a tampon prior to attending the treatment. This will be removed immediately before the treatment is being delivered.
- All patients not in the Menopause age will require a urine pregnancy test before the session.
- During the
treatmentyou will feel/sense a tapping sensation. The treatment is usually painless, although some women do experience a little discomfort when the treatment is applied close to the entrance of the vagina. This lasts seconds.
- During the second phase of the
treatmentyou may notice a warming sensation in the vagina, particularly near the entrance.
- As the treatment is finishing, and the probe is removed, you may have the sensation of urine leakage. You will not actually be losing urine, it is the warmth from the treatment that creates this sensation.
- After the
sessionyou will need to wear a small pad but there should be little or no bleeding/discharge from the laser session.
- This is for comfort as a wet sensation maybe felt following treatment.
Patients are advised not to have sex for 3 days following on from the session.
Are there any side effects?
- Over 20,000 treatments have been delivered worldwide with no serious side effects, however you will likely feel some increased sensitivity and awareness of the area for a day or so after treatment.